Friday, August 31, 2007

Books, music and Dave Reichert

So, it looks like our illustrious President was here in Bellevue this week raising money for Dave Reichert. It seems to me that the only thing Bush is good for nowadays for his party (particularly those in swing districts) is raising money. I wonder, though, why Reichert didn't choose to do this somewhere far away (like, say, Fairbanks) where it wouldn't be obvious that Bush was there for him. I wonder if Mercer Island City Council candidate Mike Cero (who gave Reichert $500 last October) was in attendance (one commenter replies that he was not). I don't know about Reichert. On the one hand, he did catch the Green River Killer, which is mildly impressive. On the other hand, his recent nods towards centrism appear to be entirely politically motivated. His party unity score of 81% is decent, but there are 16 Republicans with a lower one. Furthermore, like so many of his supposedly "moderate" colleagues, his party unity score was nearly 10 points higher when his party was riding high and he could vote as he wanted with no real concern for the repercussions. I will give him credit, though, for voting against the unconscionable Terry Schaivo bill that congress rushed back to vote in a midnight session on in March 2005. On the other other hand, that bill was guaranteed to pass (seeing as many Democrats were shut out of the room) so there he could make a calculated political decision. In short, his bouncing around on the issues to suit the electoral environment is positively Romney-esque. He needs to go....

Book recommendations:

"Bad Monkeys" by Matt Ruff. Recommended by my bookstore managing sister-in-law. Fun, easy to read an wicked - highly recommended, great for a plane flight.

"The Bronx is Burning" by Jonathan Mahler. Politics, baseball and NYC, three of my favorite things. Superbly well-written insight into the soul of New York at the height of the crime era. I remember growing up in Connecticut [for the record, I grew up in CT, went to college in Philly, lived in Manhattan after school, went to grad school in Virginia, moved back to NYC (Harlem) and just recently moved to Seattle] how dangerous the city was. Now its the safest big city in America - go figure. Anyway, the baseball component of the book is low, so even if you don't like sports, its still a fascinating read.

Music recommendations: The Blakes, a local Seattle band recommended by my borderline-hipster friend Ben. Great sound, very Strokes-y/White Stripes-y.

Finally, I'm playing my best friend this week for the 6th and final playoff spot in our fantasy baseball league. One week for all the marbles. I'm kicking his ass, by the way.

Wife & kid come home tomorrow morning - I miss them...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not sure why a person living in Seattle would care about what a Mercer Island City Council candidate is doing. I do know that Mr. Cero was NOT in attendance at this event. Council elections are nonpartisan and I get really frustrated when people try to turn these into a “R” vs. “D” election. I believe Islanders want a councilmember that has lived in their community (preferably longer than 11 months) and understands the issues we are facing. I am a Democrat, I live on Mercer Island, and I am a supporter of Mike Cero

stevk said...

Thanks for your comment (my first!) I actually live on Mercer Island, calling myself a Seattle resident is for the broader population (i.e. my friends & family back on the east coast). The elections may be non-Partisan, but Mike Cero is a hardcore Republican (check out his campaign contributions, that is no accident and certainly not just for a single candidate who's ideas he agrees with) and therefore, not in alignment with my values and, empirically speaking, those of most Islanders. People need to be made aware exactly whom they are supporting.

Unknown said...

I definitely agree that people need to be made aware exactly whom they are supporting. In addition, I believe that decision should be based on accurate information. I know Mr. Cero and can tell you that the only “hardcore” thing about him is his commitment to his family & friends and public service, for both his country and community. The campaign contributions you refer to are not accurate. (I believe from Open Secrets – see http://mielections.blogspot.com/2007/08/mercer-island-city-countil-elections.html). In addition, Mr. Cero has not asked for or received any endorsement from Mr. Reichert.

With all due respect, I believe that most Islanders would like a councilmember that has actually lived in their community for 11 years instead of 11 months. I also believe most Islanders do not want a candidate that was specifically recruited by the Progressive Majority to participate in their candidate program for local races. The purpose of that program, according to their own website, is “to recruit, promote, train, support, and elect candidates…” specifically to “develop leaders who will emerge as candidates for higher office in the future.”

Mercer Island has some important issues that need to be addressed. I believe Islanders want someone committed to our community to serve on the council, a person who is interested simply in serving their community and not one who is a member of a “farm team” for higher offices.